Whether an iPhone, Samsung, or Blackberry, here’s how to figure out what phone you have.
Are you wondering what kind of phone you have? You need to know the type of phone if you want to find accessories, software, or how-to guides that work for it. If you’re not sure, you should take a moment to check.
You can find out by locating the phone’s model name. To find that, you can look at the phone, check the settings menu, or look at the box. If those don’t work, you can also try an app.
1. Look at the Phone Itself
If your phone is in a protective case, you will have to take it out. Next, look at the back of the phone. Some phones print the model name there. The model name usually includes a number, as with the LG Q8 shown above.
If all you see is a manufacturer name, such as Samsung or Motorola, that is still useful. It can help you figure out what kind of Operating System (OS) your phone runs.
- Android works on Samsung, Google, Huawei, LG, some Blackberry phones, and many more. Check out this complete list of devices that can run Android from Phandroid.
- iOS, which runs on iPhones, only works on Apple products.
- Windows runs on Windows Phones, which are made by Microsoft as well as HTC and a few others. Check out the complete list on Neowin.
- Blackberry OS runs on devices made by FIH mobile or Optiemus Infracom. But some Blackberries run the Android OS.
2. Look in Your Phone’s Settings.
Locate your phone’s Settings menu using the guides below. These guides are organized by operating system. If you don’t know what kind of OS your phone has, look at the manufacturer. This is usually on the back of the device (see method 1).
Once you know your OS, follow the directions for that OS from the list below.
Image 1 of 3
Image 2 of 3
Image 3 of 3
- From the home screen, swipe up or tap All Apps.
- Tap the Settings app to open it. It’s the app with a gear icon. If you don’t see it, tap the search bar at the top of the screen and type in Settings.
- Inside the Settings app, scroll to the very bottom and then tap on About Phone.
- You will see the phone’s model name displayed at the top.
For more detailed instructions, check out our article that’s specifically about identifying Android phones.
Image 1 of 2
Image 2 of 2
- From the home screen, swipe down to open Spotlight Search.
- Search for Settings, and tap the Settings app. It looks like a gear.
- In Settings, open the General submenu.
- In the General submenu, tap About.
- You will see your iPhone model name at the top of the screen.
While you’re in there, consider taking a moment to enhance your iPhone’s privacy, too.
Image 1 of 3
Image 2 of 3
Image 3 of 3
- Swipe up on the home screen to access the Apps menu.
- Open the Settings app. It looks like a gear.
- Search for the About submenu or scroll to it, then open it.
- You will see your Windows Phone model name displayed under Device Information.
Note: Some Blackberry phones run the Android operating system. If these instructions don’t work, try the steps under Android instead.
- From the home screen, swipe down to open the Notification Tray.
- Tap the Settings menu. It has a gear icon.
- Find the About submenu.
- Your model name is listed below your Blackberry ID.
3. Look at the Box
If you still have the box your phone came in, now is the time to dig it out. The box should display your phone’s model name on the lid. If it doesn’t, the documents that came with the phone, such as your receipt and warranty, should also list the model name.
4. Try an App
If you still haven’t been able to find your model name, you can download an app to find it for you. You can click the links below from your phone: they will take you straight to the app’s download page.
You can also open the App Store (on an iPhone), the Google Play Store (on an Android or Blackberry), or Microsoft Store (on a Windows Phone) and search for the app name.
Still Can’t Find It?
If you’ve tried all three steps and still haven’t found your phone’s model name, there is one more thing you can try. Your phone has a sticker with the serial number, IMEI number, and sometimes the model name.
You can usually find it by opening up the back of your phone. Removing the cover won’t damage your phone, but it might affect your warranty, and you should be careful while doing so.
You might have heard the acronym “IMEI” and know it relates to the identity of your phone, but what exactly is it for?
About The Author